Friday, October 2, 2009

Apple Picking Now What!

Last weekend the weather was gorgeous. I'm thinking the last good weekend we will have until next June! So I wanted to take advantage of the great weather and we took the kids apple picking. Here they are taking a break. I guess apple picking wears you out.



Each kid needed their own bag. Well they didn't NEED their own bag BUT there sure is a lot less(actually no) fighting when they have their own bag. So I decided for the sake of my sanity they all got their own bag. Problem with this is I ended up with three yes three bags of apples. Luckily two of the above do not belong to me so their apples went home with them! Now if I canned this would not be a problem BUT I don't can and I don't have the supplies to can. So what to do??? I am now gonna make my first ever Apple Pie.

Look I even bought new pie pans because I was told to use glass. As you can see one of the apples has a tag on it. This is because we picked Macs and I was told that an apple pie completely of Macs would be to tart. so I had to buy some apples. Seems to defeat the purpose of making the apple pies but I used some bought and some picked.


Mmmmmm don't these look good! Not even in the pie yet and the house is already starting to smell good.


And this looks so pretty. It is not baked yet but needed to take a pick in case something real bad happened to it in the oven.

The pie is out and it didn't explode. The oven now needs to be cleaned! I didn't put this on a cookie sheet because I didn't know if it would effect the cooking but now the bottom of my oven looks real bad. I think it is a little dark but not bad for my first one.
So I said I had a lot of apples and one pie was not gonna get rid of many. I made two pies! This one was cooked for less time. We will see which one is better. The second pie looks better.
OK who is hungry because I have LOTS of apple pie!!!!!!

3 comments:

Howdy said...

Great looking pie there Missy!!

Having gone through many many MANY 5 gallon buckets of apples already this year... here's my suggestion.

Make apple sauce and freeze it!

If you make apple squares - apple pie made in a jelly roll pan - you can cut them up after wards and freeze them. They aren't as deep as pie and squares are easier to wrap than pie wedges! LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I can smell them from here! Now, I wish I'd felt like going out tonight. Save a slice for my raincheck, ok?

You get A+, A+ for those pies. One for trying and the other for doing such a great job!

xxoo
neen

Judy D in WA said...

Beautiful! Now I want pie..........