Monday, November 5, 2007

A Shiver Went down my Spine

Today while cooking my kids breakfast my gabber asked me if Annabelle Lee was a real person. Of course I had no clue as to what she was talking about. They often spring these types of questions on me without giving me the background information. They just let the question hang like I should have been reading their minds to know where the questions come from. She informed me it was a poem and then started reading.

When she started reading I think I stopped breathing for a second and slightly burnt the eggs.Opps. The poem was an Edger Allen Poe poem. It was a poem that I loved so much as a young girl that I used to have it memorized. To hear my darling daughter reading this very same poem to me just filled me with such joy and at the same time just a touch of sadness. I watched years just slip away as I watched myself reading this poem. In a second she brought me back to my youth and the simple joys that just reading a poem could bring to me.

My daughter looked a little shocked as I started saying the poem with her. She could not believe that I knew the words without looking. and I could not believe with all the books and poems out there she would pick my favorite poem to read to me. I do believe there is a little of me in her. These are the moments that are meant to be cherished.

4 comments:

Howdy said...

Ahhh yes... I too memorized that poem!
It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of Annabel Lee;...

Anonymous said...

From my youth, I only remember: There once was a lady from Nantucket..... Oh, never mind.

I can just picture Dianne's face when you recited that back to her... Kids are so fun to watch and listen to.

xxoo
neen

Saska said...

I'm not much on poems, but it's song that I can recite. My boys listen to same same old stuff that I did...but didn't you know it was from 100's of years ago?!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy them. Before you know it they will be all grown up. These times are memories to treasure always. Now you know how I feel.
Love Susan