Thursday, March 25, 2010

It's Not That I Haven't Been Sewing

It's just that I have been sewing on a quilt that I can't show here. I am making a quilt for a friend and in exchange she is making me a quilt. She picked out the focus fabric that we are both using and then we can add what ever we want to it so that both quilts are unique. As that is the only thing I have been piecing I haven't had anything to show here. Once I give it to her mid April I will post a pic. I just LOVE the way this quilt is coming out. It will be hard to give away, that is for sure.

I did manage to get a quilt on the frame though and it is almost done. This is a quilt my friend made and I am quilting it for her. In exchange she is marking some quilts for me. Seems like I get the better end of the deal. Well that was until she gave me King Tut thread for this. What should have taken a few hours has taken a few days. Can I just say I hate(well my machine) hates King Tut thread. In order to get the tension nice the thread then breaks every few seconds. Even with a not so great tension I am still re threading at least four times a row. Arg!!!! It is too bad because King Tut make the prettiest threads I've seen. I will stick with my Sew Fine thread Thank you very much.

Here is a close up of the quilting. Don't look to close I am not a pro or even close.
I know I shouldn't do this but I did. I pulled out fabric for two new project. Well one new project made twice. I won't start this until mystery quilt and Hunter Star Quilt are done! I won't really!!! But I do need something to do next Wed and I don't want to lug my machine to quilt night so I thought I would spend the night cutting out these quilts. Then nope I won't touch them until above mentioned quilts are done!

Here is the pattern of the new quilts. I am going to go a little more scrappy than the pics. I want to use up a couple of my bundles. Sigh, do you ever find that when you use a bundle you almost never use the creams. I have stacks of lights from bundles that never get used. I am going to have to make an all cream quilt someday.

And here is one of my biggest accomplishments. If you turn his cake around it says 10. My baby is ten years old now. Where did the time ago. So for a few more days until my girls birthday I will have 1 ten year old and 2 eleven years old.



9 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Happy Birthday to your "baby" boy!!!
Pretty quilts you are working on---I hate thread that keeps breaking--cause I HATE threading needles--machine or hand ones!!!!
Have a great day--Hugs, Di

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :-) I love the red star quilt you cut out~ can you tell me the pattern? I am just the opposite of you~ I am always going out to buy more tans/creams/beiges. ;-) What is your quilt machine? Sorry you have thread break problems. Happy #10 to your DS! Have a great weekend!

sunny said...

I'm glad I read this, because Fiona, (my machine) HATES king Tut thread. I made a very small table runner after Christmas, and I never want to look at that thing again. Took Fiona to the shop twice because I thought I was doing something wrong (new sewer, new machine) but it was just the thread, Not sure why.

Love all your projects,

Gizmo said...

Maybe you should post a picture now....so we wouldn't think you are pulling our leg. ;)

Gizmo said...

Maybe you should post a picture now....so we wouldn't think you are pulling our leg. ;)

Anonymous said...

Giz, you are repeating yourself... LOL

DM, I can't (CANNOT) believe my buddy is 10!!! Already!!! Lordy, when we first met, he was just toddling around. Do you know how many quilts we've made in that time??? (notice I didn't say, "how many quilts we've finished." )

Please give all the kiddos a huge hug from me.

xxoo
neen

smiledarlin said...

While at the Lancaster quilt show- I told the woman at the King Tut booth I couldn't use her thread- she advised me to buy an embroidery needle for the machine- it has a bigger eye and will allow the thread to seat in the fabric and not break. She recommended the "Organ Needle" brand.
So I will try- coz I bought KT thread also....

Anonymous said...

Yoohoo! Miss you! happy birthing and birth day to you & your little guy.
have you joined the Machine Quilters Resource site yet? They have a ton of great information!
Hope you're well.

Teri

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

What great projects - can't wait to see the quilt you're swapping with your friend. And, wishing your little one a Happy Birthday! We've missed ya!